Sunday, March 17, 2013

toFUUUUUUUU

since i've decided to take the "go veg" plunge, i've mostly been sticking to….i guess you could say its processed….vegetarian foods.  e.g. light life products, tofurky, morning star, quorn, and gardein.  HOW-WEH-WUR, yesterday i ventured out to newport news (i usually stay away from that side of the water) and went to trader joe's.  1.) that place is amazing.  2.) i bought dark chocolate covered edamame….SON.  anyway, i got a couple things of organic baked tofu.  savory and teriyaki flavored to be exact.  and tonight was the first time i ever cooked using tofu O.O  it was interesting, but really neat at the same time.  i'd never eaten tofu, like…just eating tofu as my main meat portion of my meal.  it was delicious!  the boyfriend has been helping me with this transition, and as soon as i'm ready, he's going to be giving me more recipes for tofu :D i can't wait!

it's crazy how far i've come with this lifestyle change.  a couple years ago, i probably would have gagged at the thought of eating just plain tofu.  i've always liked veggie burgers and things like that, but tofu?  dude, i would have throat judo-chopped anyone that suggested tofu instead of steak, k?!  but knowing what soy does to my body PHYSIOLOGICALLY, i WANT to eat it.  and i've seen the change!  i feel it, see it, and love it.

to give you a little background, i have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), which means that 1.) i don't ovulate regularly; 2.) i have more androgens than estrogen (which causes the irregular ovulation); 3.) it has deemed me insulin resistant (my addiction to chocolate and bread does not help me there); 4.) the insulin resistance alone causes a weight gain around my midsection, which explains the thinner limbs -_- and 5.) the extra androgens cause me to have more hair in places that a woman shouldn't have dark hair (my neck, arms, stomach, lower back….yeah, paints a pretty picture, huh?)  it's whatever, i don't' care anymore.  anyway, well soy has phytoestrogens in it, which attach to estrogen receptors and acts as a hormone treatment replacement for women who are menopausal, and for women that have issues such as i do.

because i've transitioned to vegetarian, i've been consuming a lot of soy.  well this month was my first exactly 30 day cycle!  i don't care who you are, thats freaking fabulous.  my PMS symptoms were even way better than they usually are.  normally, the first sign of PMS for me is "I WANT CHOCOLATE AND CHEESE!!!!!"  so terrible, but that's how it be.  this time, i just……started……and i was so surprised, but i also knew that it was because of my recent increase of soy intake.  its really awesome to know that what you're doing is going to cause a change….but to actually see it happen, and FEEL IT happen, is a completely different experience.  i feel so awesome about it, and its weird but i can't really share it with certain people bc its about…dun dun dun…FLO.  but whatever, its natural, all women go through it.

anywho, thats my gross story for the week.  time to hit the sack so i can wake up and slave for the man tomorrow.  SIGH.  go veg!

No comments:

Post a Comment